Janitors have one of the most important—and unappreciated—jobs in any company, school, or organization. Without them, buildings don’t get cleaned or properly maintained, making everything more difficult and less pleasant for everyone else. To succeed at their job, janitors need several important skills that help make sure their work gets done right.
1. The first crucial skill a good janitor needs to have is good time management. The best janitors arrive on time, get to work as soon as possible, and quickly learn just how much time to spend on every task they’re responsible for so that they get done completely and on time.
2. Keeping a facility clean and maintained is no easy task. It requires janitors to be attentive to their work and to the buildings they are responsible for taking care of. A good janitor always makes sure to clean thoroughly and completely, and to notice when a room or appliance needs special care.
3. Whether part of a team or working alone, a good janitor is always organized. That means that they not only keep careful track of what jobs have been completed and what still needs to be done, but also that they keep track of their supplies and tools at all times, so that they can be found and used quickly whenever they are needed.
4. Janitors should always be concerned for their own safety and the safety of the people they work with. A good janitor is always careful to follow proper safety procedures, knows how to properly handle potentially dangerous cleaning materials and tools, and goes out of his or her way to avoid creating any potentially hazardous situations.
5. When a janitor cares about their job and the organization they work for, they are more likely to be concerned about the quality of their work and doing the best job possible. The best janitors are the ones who are committed to their job and care about the people they work with.
6. Keeping floors clean is about more than just maintaining appearances. Clean floors last longer, carry less germs and harmful bacteria, and help keep spirits high. That’s why great janitors know the right tools and cleaning materials to use to give every floor the best cleaning possible.
When they need the best cleaning machinery available, good janitors don’t just shop anywhere. They know that Performance Systems Janitorial has the best new and used floor scrubbers, floor sweepers, and other janitorial equipment to get the job done.